One of the bronze fountains imported from France that adorn the Rossio Square, in downtown Lisbon, Portugal.
Rossio Square is the popular name of the Pedro IV Square (Praca de D. Pedro IV) in the city of Lisbon, in Portugal. It is located in the Pombaline Downtown of Lisbon and has been one of its main squares since the Middle Ages. It has been the setting of popular revolts and celebrations, bullfights and executions, and is now a preferred meeting place of Lisbon natives and tourists alike.
The current name of the Rossio pays homage to Pedro IV, King of Portugal. The Column of Pedro IV is in the middle of the square.
Most buildings around the Rossio date from the reconstruction of the Pombaline Downtown carried out after the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake, which levelled most structures in the area, including the magnificent All-Saints Hospital. Only the Palace of the Independence survived the catastrophic earthquake. The rebuilding of the Rossio was undertaken in the second half of the 18th century. The Rossio became linked to the other main square of the city, the Praca do Comercio, by two straight streets: the Aurea and the Augusta Streets.
In the 19th century the Rossio was paved with typical Portuguese mosaic and was adorned with bronze fountains imported from France. The Column of Pedro IV was erected in 1874. At this time the square received its current official name, never accepted by the people.
Between 1886 and 1887 another important landmark was built in the square: the Rossio Train Station (Estacao de Caminhos de Ferro do Rossio).
November 14th, 2017
Viewed 4,214 Times - Last Visitor from Fairfield, CT on 12/08/2023 at 1:55 PM